The Independent Transportation Network® (ITN) is dignified. Older adults who join ITN become dues-paying members of a non-profit organization committed to their independence and mobility. When they pick up the telephone to schedule a ride, they are not asking a favor. The transition from the driver's seat to the passenger seat is never easy - for the drivers or for their families - but it is infinitely easier when there is a viable transportation alternative that keeps the older adult in control.
The ITN service is also consumer oriented. We provide excellent customer service with the arm-through-arm, door-through-door standard that sets us apart from taxis. Like using one's own automobile, the ITN service is available 24/7 and gives customers the flexibility to schedule their rides in advance or as needed, as well as the option to ride alone or with others, as they please, to destinations of their choice.
Characteristics of the Service
- Membership based - people 60 years and older (age eligibility varies by affiliate), and visually impaired adults are eligible to join
- Community based affiliates are supported by private, rather than public resources
- Affordable fares that are typically lower than a comparable taxi ride
- Available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day for any purpose
- Not "just a taxi" - drivers provide arm-through-arm, door-through-door service and help with packages
- No money is exchanged in the vehicle, and tips are not accepted
- Riders pre-fund a personal transportation account, and a monthly statement details all payments and charges
- Uses automobiles, rather than vans or buses
- Rides may be booked at any time, with discounts for advance notice
- Riders may travel alone or with others, with discounts for shared rides